Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pomegranate-Glazed Roast Pork

I know that January is a time for resolutions, most of them generally involving promises of living healthier and indulging less in meat, alcohol and the like, but I have been wanting to blog about this recipe for some time. This recipe for one of the most delicious roasts I have ever eaten would have been perfect for December, but for most of the month, I was deep in a snow and ice driven funk after our romantic, white Christmas in Portland weather went on for two weeks and hindered my travel plans.




I have a predilection for anything tart and this recipe is no different. It is slathered in a simple mixture of pomegranate molasses, dry mustard, and maple syrup, which results in the most amazing balance of the savory with the sweet. I notice that I use that expression quite a bit, and I must say that this combination is the driving force behind most of the foods that I love. Over time, I have even noticed (get ready for it) a waning love for anything overly sweet, which includes most of my former favorite desserts (from cookies and cakes to my nightly ice cream). Now, don’t get me wrong, I still have a fondness for those desserts, but now often when eating something sweet I am searching for balance. You may not have pomegranate molasses in your pantry, but after trying this you will probably want to add it to everything from fish and chicken to vegetables and dips—it is beautifully tart and acidic, and again, not too sweet. I was able to find my bottle at my local Whole Foods, but they should also have it at Middle Eastern markets.

I first made this roast for my father’s surprise birthday party last year. My mom, the genius that she is, surprised him with a trip to Savannah, Georgia, where his entire family was waiting for him in the most beautiful gothic townhouse. Deciding to go with a new recipe was a risk but it certainly paid off. It was perfect with a creamy potato gratin, and if you do decide to serve it with the gratin, be sure to dip the potatoes in the pomegranate pork jus. The roast could not be simpler and once you try it, I predict you will want to make it for someone special. It might even inspire you to throw a surprise party of your own.




Pomegranate-Glazed Roast Pork

Adapted from Food and Wine
Ingredients
1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
One 5 1/2-pound pork rib roast, at room temperature
2 tablespoons canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
1. Mix the molasses, maple syrup, garlic, dry mustard and rosemary to make a glaze. Rub the pork with the oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast in a 500° oven for 25 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375° and roast for 20 minutes. Brush the roast with the glaze and cook for 25 minutes or until the center reaches 155°; brush with glaze again 10 minutes before it's done. Let the roast stand for 15 minutes, then carve and serve with the pan juices mixed with the remaining glaze.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a recipe for an upcoming birthday for my girlfriend - I think I just found it! I'm also a sucker for the savory/sweet balance, so this should do just fine. I may give it a test run first, if only as an excuse to make it twice...

Maggie said...

Yum! This sounds delicious! I just did a recipe with pomegranate and roast carrots, I'm sure this roast is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie-- it is divine. You should definitely try it and be sure to also make the gratin and dip in the pork jus!

Anonymous said...

This is as good as it looks! The pomegranate molasses is a bit hard to locate but well worth the effort and as Juree says, you'll probably want to incorporate it in many other recipes. Get ready for rave reviews and the house will smell amazing

SOUP OF THE DAY said...

So, where is the Whole Foods in Portland? I need to have my parents go there, they will absolutely die at all the goodies!

Juree said...

HI Traci!

Actually, there are two Whole Foods here. One on the east side and one on the west. Your stuffed turnip recipe looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Not sure what I can add to this post aside from stating that the most difficult part of this meal is finding the actual provisions, the cooking itself is easy and well worth the effort in trying to find the pomegranate molasses. PS when in Savannah apparently the ghost house tour is largely forgettable....just an fyi